Monday, September 21, 2009

Cactus Burritos

This week I needed to go talk to the owners of a local Mexican grocery store for an article I'm writing. They make and sell their own tortillas, chips, and salsa, so I decided I'd get burrito fixins for our first group meal in the new house. They had cactus for sale! I asked my cashier how to prepare it and she told me her mom always peeled it and sauteed it. Sounded simple enough.



The cactus wasn't more than half an inch thick and after skinning one side I didn't think there'd be anything left if I skinned the other, so for the other side (and the other cactuses) I just cut off the little black pimples instead of skinning. Then I fried them up in olive oil with some zucchini we had lying around.


The tortillas were too big for a skillet, so we folded them and put them in the oven.


Our assembly line featured a parsley pico de gallo that Natasha made, salsa, sour cream, avocado, rice, garlic fried black beans, and the cactus/zuke stir-fry. Jessica shows you how to put it together.


Pre-rolling.


Post-rolling!


The cactus was yummy. It was slightly slimy in the way that okra is, though when I was cutting it up all I could think about was aloe. It was tart flavored, but not actually sour. Added a wonderful tang and juicy crunch to the burritos. I have one left and am thinking about scrambling it with an egg for breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment