Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Tomato Marmalade

Just one picture from the tomato marmalade Whitney and I made together. Not sure if she's going to post more, but we used this recipe (http://momsrecipesandmore.blogspot.com/2009/06/t-is-for-tomato-preserves.html). My Mom's Recipes And More calls it tomato preserves, which I personally prefer the sound of, but due to the length of time that we simmered the tomatoes with the lemons, the flavor was so much like marmalade we decided that if we called it anything else we'd be deluding ourselves. If you make it, the most critical instruction is to weigh your tomatoes after you've blanched, peeled, cored, and seeded them. It makes a substantial difference in weight, and while this is one of the few things we've made where we've actually accepted the given quantity of sugar, if we'd used the proportions from the whole raw tomatoes, we would have used way more sugar than we needed. I have a feeling that this will become a recipe I pass down in my family. Can't wait to spread my tomatoes on toast all winter long!

3 comments:

  1. hey kate! it's liz.. I am just letting you know that Jonah and I are going to post a link to your foodblog on our blog that we're using for our trip!

    jam-hunt.blogspot.com

    we'll be posting our jam recipes shortly!
    take care, see you soon
    love,
    liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahh, that's awesome! thanks liz, sorry i missed saying bye to you. bye! hope the trip gets off to a great start!

    ReplyDelete
  3. no worries, I hope the move-in to your new house was stress-free and fun!
    -liz

    ReplyDelete