Sunday, November 15, 2009

Pickled Roasted Red Peppers















When a Dollar Tree moved into the shopping center a mile from my house in Louisville, pickled roasted red peppers became a staple for my family. And for a dollar, you'd be surprised; they're delicious... though always imported. The last time I looked they were from Turkey. So, I decided I would try my hand at my own pickled peppers with some beauties from the Rising River stand of the Olympia Farmer's Market. Followed this recipe but diluted the pickling liquid with water to taste (I want to say I ended up adding somewhere in the range of a cup and a half?) as it was waaaay too strong as was. I also threw in whole basil leaves and as the garlic lover that I am used more than the called for one clove (I'm guessing it was probably 4-6). If you make these and are roasting at 350, I recommend going longer than 45 minutes. The skins were a little finicky coming off.

9/23/09














































Bonus picture: While I didn't have enough to can, here's a pretty pepper I grew in my garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment