Thursday, February 23, 2012

Wild Mustard Cress

Damn, no posts at all in 2011. Sorry guys. The good news is, I'm done with my undergrad! And now back to residing with my folks in Louisville, Kentucky. Perhaps this will be the dawning of my food blog's resurgence.


Today, following suit with the crazy weather we've been having all sprinter (springwinter), it was 63 degrees and sunny. Despite the fact that this scares me and is highly unusual for February, it made the task of digging up the garden bed for seeding quite pleasant.

Before I dug up the bed, I started by weeding out all of the mustard cress that was growing in it to set aside for my lunch. Spiff the cat examines a fine specimen.

You can eat this stuff! I don't know that much about cress, or what the more specific name for the kind growing in this region is, but honestly the cress in Kentucky looks just like it did in Washington and tastes about the same too. It's some kind of wild mustard, and as such is bitter and a little spicy. Well, a little because it's still young, but wait another month and the zing factor will probably get more intense.

What? You don't eat weeds? Well they're abundant, free, and delicious, and if they're growing in your own backyard and you don't spray funky shit on your lawn then they're organic too! (For more edible weed inspiration, see nettle harvest, nettle cornbread, nettle pancakes, nesto, nettle gnocchi, nettle beer, dandelion-plum liqueur, or pickled 'lion buds.)

Once the garden work was done, I took em inside, rinsed em real good, soaked em in cold water for good measure, and chopped off all their little rootlets.

I madeth them a bed of quinoa and chopped nuts.

Threw the cress on and added my homemade winter kimchi.

And mixed it all up, before mixing it further in my belly.
It was awesome.

1 comment:

  1. Hooray for the return of food blog! I have to say I never realized that was an edible weed growing back there. -- Your Mom

    ReplyDelete