Friday, December 17, 2010

Dandelion-Plum Liqueur

3/27/10

Did you know: This little yellow friend is extremely good for you.

If you want to eat them, it's best to get them from a place where you know they haven't been sprayed with chemicals, like your yard. Unless you spray your dandelions with chemicals. Murderer!

You can also make them into a traditional and medicinal wine. Which is what I did. (Let me know if you want the measurements I used- again, I'm not posting recipes right now for speed, but I'm also away from my copy of the recipe right now and it's pretty simple if you want it.)

You start by pouring boiling water over several fresh quarts of blossoms.

Then you cover them and let them steep for 24 hours. I think I may have let them sit for 2 days so the tea got good and strong.

Then I added orange peel,

a lot of sugar,

golden plums from the summer, and yeast.

I poured it into a bottle and covered it with a condom, the poor man's airlock.

A few weeks later, it was a sweet, but incredibly complex liqueur-like wine! The orange and plum both came through in a heavenly medley. I've been letting most of it age and serving it over ice as an after-dinner cordial.

No comments:

Post a Comment