Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Chipotle-Pumpkin Corn Chowder, Roasted Chicken, & Cardamom-Pistachio Ice Cream

11/7/10

OMG- my first ever roast chicken. How exciting. Last dinner club at my house before break.

Rubbed the chicken in salt, pepper, and paprika. Surrounded it with onions and home-dried cherry tomatoes. Said "fuck it" to trussing.

Now here's a tip you may not know. Jessica taught me some time ago to save my garlic skins for making soup stock. It makes a mild, almost slightly sweet broth. In preparation for my soup I boiled down a very full paper bag of skins for several hours with just a little salt and celery.

Chopped up one dried chipotle pepper and two smallish pie pumpkins.

Roasted the pumps in an olive-oiled pan at 350(? 450? 400? Whatever.) till they were fragrant and soft when I poked them with a knife (about 45 minutes).

Sauteed onions and some more of my corn in a little olive oil til they were starting to brown. Added some fresh garlic and ginger.

Cubed up the pumpkin and added it with the broth, chipotle pepper, and some curry powder. Let it cook down till it was mashable but didn't bother with blending. Added some milk.

And voila, first course. If you want a more measurement using recipe, here's the one I used. I put toasted pepitas on top, but cheated and bought pre-hulled ones instead of roasting my own pumpkin seeds. I stuck them in the oven for just a couple minutes till they browned and plumped up. Added a nice nuttiness to the soup.

Wow! Look at that good-lookin' bird!

Served with a flowery beet and mustard greens salad.

Made pistachio-cardamom ice cream for dessert, omggggg! Huge hit with the dinner clubbers. Did everything this recipe says to do except I didn't strain out the ground up pistachios and the cardamom was my add.

No comments:

Post a Comment