Friday, December 17, 2010

Twice-Used Plum Kuchen

4/16/10


Woooh, this has got to be one of my favorite desserts of all time. This is my Granny's recipe for German Plum Kuchen. It's a simple butter cake, but the sweet-tartness of the plums served with a fresh batch of whipped cream sends me straight to heaven every time. This time was an experiment, though. When I strained the plums out of the plum mead/vinegar I was making, I put them in a jar in the fridge to save them for baking. They had already fermented at that point and tasted all fizzy, so I wasn't sure if this was a good idea, but my hope was that with all the sugar in the cake it would sort of neutralize. Sure enough, the fizziness baked out and the plums tasted like them old selves! It was crazy. I'll be sure to post the recipe for this one soon, it's too good to keep from you. This picture is funny, it makes me think of sundried tomato focaccia bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment