Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Kimchi

10/6/10

Kimchi, like sauerkraut, is a fermented food full of probiotics. It's like sauerkraut's juicier, spicier cousin. The way I make it, as my friend Whitney put it in her food blog entry on kimchi, definitely falls under the "western facsimile" category, but I love it anyway. This is the first kimchi recipe I ever used and I've been referencing it ever since.

This kimchi was super basic, but extremely strong on the spices, good for clearing out the sinuses: cabbage, sweet turnips, ginger, garlic, chili peppers, and brine. When I'm done fermenting and transferring my kimchi into containers for the fridge, I usually strain off the excess brine, but I save it for the next batch, bringing the next round the added spice and flavor of the last.

No comments:

Post a Comment